Today marks the first day of National Autism Awareness Month and the people here, behind-the-scenes at Parenting Autism decided we wanted to give back to the Autism Community by offering a FREE parenting workshop on every Saturday in April. Parents from all over Vermont and one family from Quebec have been calling and emailing to register.
As we get closer to our first workshop in Burlington, VT this Saturday the buzz of excitement grows because we know families are not getting enough support which results in splintered families, families that don’t work, and relationships that don’t flourish. We want to help you create a meaningful family while preparing your child(ren) for adulthood. Sign-up today at email@example.com
Burlington, Vermont Workshop
Saturday, April 4th, 2009
8:30am-12:30pm (light fare provided)
MAIN STREET LANDING PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
The Great Room
Corner of Lake & College Streets
Sixty Lake Street
Burlington, Vermont 05401
Rutland, Vermont Workshop
Saturday, April 11th, 2009
9:30am-1:30pm (lunch provided)
RUTLAND FREE LIBRARY
The Fox Room
10 Court Street
at the intersection of Court and Center Streets
St. Albans, Vermont Workshop
Saturday, April18th, 2009
9:00am-1:00pm (lunch provided)
NORTHWESTERN COUNSELING AND SUPPORT SERVICES
130 Fisher Pond Road, St. Albans, VT
(the new building)
Norwich, Vermont Workshop
April 25th, 2009
10:00am-2:00pm (light fare provided)
UPPER VALLEY EVENTS CENTER
Route 5 SouthNorwich VT
Here are some highlights from our workshop, Build Your Family:
- After Diagnosis: Grief, depression, anxiety, sadness is a host of emotions that a family must continue to face throughout the lifespan, not just after diagnosis — we help with dealing with emotions and how to make plans to move forward. Including connecting to your community to gain a support network and find “your people”.
- Build An Inclusive School Team: Through strong team building skills and meeting planning we teach you how to have a working team at school and at home.
- Create Your Family: What are your family values? How does your life support the family values? Learn how to create a weekly family meeting, family dinners, and family outings for everyone.
- Your Child: Learn how to prepare your child for a meaningful and productive happy adulthood now at whatever age they are. Teaching life skills in way your child can understand.
- Medical Issues: Learn how talk to doctors so they will understand. How does pain affect children with autism and what you can do to help?